Thursday, May 22, 2014

Trust in Jesus Is Apparently Trust in Jehovah



Anyone who knows the Old Testament know there are MANY, MANY passages in the Old Testament that teach we are to trust in the LORD/Jehovah/Yahweh. The most famous is probably Proverbs 3:5-6. In Phil. 2:19-24 Jesus seems to be trusted in by Paul in the way Prov. 3:5-6 reserves for Jehovah. Such trust is meant to "make one's paths smooth or straight."

5    Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
        and do not lean on your own understanding.
6    In all your ways acknowledge him,
        and he will make straight your paths.- Prov. 3:5-6

 For I will surely deliver thee, and thou shalt not fall by the sword, but thy life shall be for a prey unto thee: because thou hast put thy trust in me, saith the LORD.- Jer. 39:18

Compare the above passages (which are only two samples) with the following where Paul trusts Jesus to guide and arrange his and Timothy's journeyings.

19    I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you.20 For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare.21 For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.22 But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel.23 I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me,24 and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also.- Phil. 2:19-24 ESV

 19    But I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, so that I also may be encouraged when I learn of your condition.20 For I have no one else of kindred spirit who will genuinely be concerned for your welfare.21 For they all seek after their own interests, not those of Christ Jesus.22 But you know of his proven worth, that he served with me in the furtherance of the gospel like a child serving his father.23 Therefore I hope to send him immediately, as soon as I see how things go with me;24 and I trust in the Lord that I myself also will be coming shortly.- Phil. 2:19-24 NASB

19    But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state.20 For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state.21 For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus.22 But you know his proven character, that as a son with his father he served with me in the gospel.23 Therefore I hope to send him at once, as soon as I see how it goes with me.24 But I trust in the Lord that I myself shall also come shortly. - Phil. 2:19-24 NKJV

And again Isaiah says,
    "The root of Jesse will come,
        even he who arises to rule the Gentiles;
    in him will the Gentiles hope."- Rom. 15:12 [NKJV has "trust" for "hope"]

and in his name the Gentiles will hope."- Matt. 12:21 [NKJV has "trust" for "hope"]

 For I do not want to see you now just in passing. I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits.- 1 Cor. 16:7 [KJV has "trust" for "hope"]
Compare also with

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.- John 14:1
Here we have the author of John saying Jesus taught His disciples to place their trust in Him (apparently) in the SAME WAY they are to believe in and trust in the Father. This is in keeping with other passages in John which apparently teach the equality of the Father and Son.


From the Old Testament it would seem that hope, faith, trust and belief should be reserved for God alone. Nowhere else in the Old or New Testaments is it taught that such faith should be placed in any other than in Yahweh/Jehovah. Whether it be a human creature, angelic creature or whatever. Yet, the New Testament (and OT prophecies regarding the NT) teach that such faith in Christ is appropriate. This therefore is an indirect indication of Christ's full deity.

See also my blog:

Lord [Jesus Christ] Willing? God's Will and Christ's Will 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment